Whether you are planning a tour to Ecuador, have already booked, or are just looking for general Ecuador information: this page is for you. You will find all kinds of different travel tips and recommendations. If you can’t find what you are looking for or have more specific questions, please contact us, we are more than happy to help.
General Ecuador Information
- Capital: Quito
- Largest city: Guayaquil
- Official language: Spanish
- Area: 109,484 km2/ 283,560 sq mi
- Currency: US Dollar
- Calling code: +593
- Most popular sport: Soccer
Interesting Ecuador Information and Facts
- Ecuador is named for the equator, which runs through the country.
- The colors of the flag are: yellow for the diversity in the country, blue for the sky and the sea, and red for the blood of those who fought for independence.
- Prior to the Incas’ conquest of Ecuador, it was inhabited by various indigenous peoples.
- Ecuador has many active volcanoes and also one of the greatest densities of volcanoes in the world.
- Ecuador’s Independence Day is on August 10th.
- Ecuador is one of only two countries in South America that do not share a border with Brazil.
- Ecuador was the first nation in 2008 to declare that Nature has constitutional rights.
- The capital city of Quito, and the third largest city in the country, Cuenca, were declared world heritage sites by the UNESCO, owing to their rich history.
- The country is divided into four geographical regions – coastal lowlands (Costa), mountain highlands (Sierra),
eastern jungle lowlands (Oriente or Amazonia), and the Galapagos Islands.
- The national flower is the rose.
- The Galapagos Islands are where Charles Darwin noticed the development of species and began to study evolution.
- Chimborazo Volcano, at 6,268 m (20,564 ft), forms the highest point in Ecuador.
- Find these and more information on the website of the Ecuadorian Tourism Ministry
Practical Travel Information
Are you wondering whether to go on a cruise or stay in hotels? Are you interested in a specific animal and want to know where to find it? Check out our Galapagos Information page which contains many useful tips for traveling to the Galapagos.
Galapagos and Ecuador with Kids
We have put together a page with recommendations for families traveling to Ecuador with kids. Read our tips and information on Galapagos and Ecuador with Kids and start planning your family adventure.
Our Recommended Reading List contains our staff’s personal recommendations for books about Ecuador. This includes of course guide books and pictorials as well as Ecuadorian literary fiction and travel literature.
Ecuador also offers plenty of different dishes. The variety of local recipes is big which means that you cannot only have a good meal in the streets or restaurants but also in your own kitchen. The staff of SOLEQ.travel prepares regularly different Ecuadorian recipes. Check them out on our Ecuadorian recipes page.